Dal Makhani recipe is a authentic Vegetarian Indian Recipe. Dal Makhani is popular in almost whole India but specially in north India. This dal makhani recipe is very easy to make and here are some tips to make dal makhani without soaking pulses. Dal Makhani and Shahi Paneer both are staple dishes of Punjabi Cuisine and loved in whole India. Try this popular Indian recipe, dal makhani at your home and surely give your comments below. Don’t Forget to Share it 🙂
Prep time: 15min
Cooking time: 1hr
Total time:1hr 15min
Ingredients for Dal Makhani Recipe
- Black Lentil (Sabut urad Dal)- 200gm
- Red Kidney Bean (Rajma)- 100gm
- Bengal Gram Split (Chana Dal)- 50gm
- Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)- 2
- Black Cardamom (Moti elaichi)- 2
- Cloves (Long)- 2
- Cinnamon (Dal Chini)- ½
- Salt (namak)- 1.5 spoon
- Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch)- 1.5 spoon
- Dal Makhani Masala – 1.5 tbs
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera)- 1 Spoon
- Coriander (Dhaniya)- 10-15gm
- Asafoetida (Hing)- ¼ spoon
- Onion- 2 (Fine Chopped)
- Garlic- 15-20 (Fine Chopped)
- Tomato Paste – Tomato 200gm, garlic-1/2inch, Green Chilli- 1
- Fresh Cream- 75gm
- Refined Oil- 1.5 tbs
Steps of Dal Makhani Recipe
We can me Dal makhani in two ways, one by soaking dals (pulses) other instantly without soaking.
If you are soaking it then soak it for 7-8 hours, before start with cooking.
In this dal makhani recipe I will tell you how to cook dal makhani without soaking, it will take 10-15 minutes more cooking time.
- Firstly mix all pulses and put it in a pressure cooker. Put water in it, it should be 1 inch above level of pulses. Now put half spoon of salt and 1 spoon of refined oil in it, this is main trick to cook pulses without soaking. Keep cooker on high flame and keep till 4 whistles.
- After 4 whistles keep cooker close till it release its steam. Now after that open pressure cooker, rajma will come on surface of water. Now put cold water in it, it will settle down rajma in cooker, and keep it on high flame and cook it till 1 whistle. After 1 whistle keep it on low flame for half hour. After its steam release open the cooker, and your pulses are perfectly cooked for dal makhani.
- During this long cooking time of dal, side by side you can cook its tadka.
Lets start with tadka for dal makhani. Keep a pan on flame, put refined oil in it (1 tbs). After it get heat up, put khade masale in it, bay leaf (tez patta), black cardamom (moti elaichi), cloves (long), cinnamon (dal chini) in it. These spices will add lovely flavor to oil.
- After that put cumin seeds, toss it for while, now add chopped onions and garlic to it. Cook them till they turn golden brown. After that add tomato paste to it and cook it till its water evaporates.
- After tomato water get dry, put spices in it. Salt, red chilli powder, hing powder, dal makhani masala and dhaniya (coriander), mix them well.
- Cook it for 4-5 minutes and put boiled Pulses (dal) in it and mix them together. Now cook them for 5 minutes, cover the pan with a lid. After 5 minutes put cream in it and mix it in dal makhani. So here is our authentic dal makhani is ready.
You can also watch my Dal Makhani recipe video.
Made for Each Other
What will go best with Dal Makhani? A common question I got from my South Indian friends as they are not much familiar with North Indian or Punjabi food. So with dal makhani Naan is something with you can get anywhere in North India. Here is my Naan on Tawa recipe by which you can make naan at home only. With Dal Makhani my son also like laccha paratha as naan is made up of maida so I usually prefer to serve dal makhani with laccha paratha which is made up of wheat flour.
Now coming to next partner of dal makhani, if you are going to cook for a get together then with dal makhani surely go with shahi paneer or kadhai paneer. Try my shahi paneer recipe and kadhai paneer recipe, if you are spicy lover then go for kadhai paneer.
Dal Makhani has also great combination with jeera rice full of aroma, or boiled rice which is light to digest with heavy dal makhani.
Story Behind Dal Makhani Recipe
Dal Makhani Recipe is very much close to every punjabi food lover. From dhaba to parties dal makhani has its aroma everywhere in North Indian region specially Delhi & Punjab. If you ever going from Delhi to Punjab by road, you can taste one of the best dal makhani on Highway dhaba (hotels). In delhi Dal makhani was firstly introduced in Daryaganj at Moti mahal restaurant.
If you love dal makhani so much then you should know its creator name, Dal Makhani was Created by Sardar Singh ji.
So today this superb creation is near to many hearts and if you still far from its taste, then surely try my recipe of dal makhani and share your experience with me.
Dal Makhani is also popularly known as Maa ki Dal, so from name only you can understand how much love is filled in this dish.
Dal Makhani Recipe tips and advice
There are not many tips for dal makhani recipe left other than I told you above in recipe.
But then also I will again focus on some important points which put impact on taste of dal makhani.
- Surely add whole spices like moti elaichi long etc as some of my friends add their powder or garam masala instead of whole spices which is not a good option.
- You can use desi ghee instead of refined to take its aroma to next level.
- If you want to make it creamy without adding much fat then you can add little more chana dal to it.
So I hope these tips are useful to you while following my dal makhani recipe, and if you have instant plan to make dal makhani then surely try my tip to boil dals without soaking them.