- Prep time: 20min
- Cooking time: 20min
- Total time:40min
Shahi paneer recipe is one of the authentic Indian dishes. Shahi paneer recipe is popular as north Indian dish which completes the plate of any occasion. By this recipe of shahi paneer you can easily learn how to cook shahi paneer. This Shahi Paneer Recipe has a traditional touch of spices and other ingredients. Surely try this shahi paneer recipe and give your views in comments.
Ingredients for Shahi Paneer Recipe
- Cottage cheese (Paneer) – 250 gram
- Cashew Paste – 25 g
- Onions – 2
- Tomatoes – 300 grams
- Green chilies – 2
- Oil – 1½ tablespoons at 2 different times
- Bay leaves (Tez Patta) – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Black Cardamon – 1
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chili Powder or Paprika – ½ teaspoon
- Tumeric – 1 pinch
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Water – according to our preference
- Tomato sauce – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh cream – 100 grams + 25 grams
- Coriander – 1 handfuf
Preparatory steps of Shahi Paneer Recipe
- Allow Paneer to defreeze before cooking.
- Make cashew nuts paste using a blender with 2 to 3 tablespoons of water and keep aside.
- Chop coriander leaves and keep aside.
- Cut onions, tomatoes and green chilies into small pieces – Will semi-cook & grind them later.
- Heat 1½ tablespoons of oil in a pan and then, add onions and stir them for around 3 minutes.
- Then, add the tomatoes and green chilies and stir properly and cover the pan to allow cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Now, switch off heat and put them in mixer and blend them into a purée* and keep them aside.
- Chop your soft Paneer into squares or rectangular depending on your preference.
Steps of Shahi Paneer Recipe
- Clean your sauce pan and add oil and allow to heat a little.
- Immediately, add 2 bay leaves, 2 cloves and 1 black cardamom and stir properly for a minute or 2.
- Once the cloves & cardamom become red, remove them from the oil and add 2 teaspoons of the ginger-garlic paste and stir properly to AVOID BURNING.
- Then, add the Onions-Tomatoes-Chilies purée* and stir quickly and add:
(i) Salt – to taste
(ii) Red Chili Powder or Paprika – ½ teaspoon
(iii) Tumeric – 1 pinch
(iv) Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Stir everything properly and lower the flame because there is a high risk of burning the ingredients here.
- Then, add the cashew nuts paste and again stir and add some water to get a saucy gravy.
- Allow cook for 2 to 3 minutes and add 1 teaspoon of tomato sauce and allow the gravy to cook over low to medium flame till bubbling.
- Then, lower flame and add the cream and stir and add coriander leaves and paneer and allow cooking.
- Increase heat to medium for a few more minutes and check one Paneer to see if cooked and check salt.
- If all is cooked, then, switch off heat and after putting in bowl, pour some fresh cream again to garnish.
Made For Each Other
So this part of recipe is quite interesting for all, here you can get more related recipes which can go with particular recipe. I am starting this section of recipe with shahi paneer only and I hope you all will love this.
Shahi paneer has a direct family relation with Naan and Laccha Paratha. In almost all North Indian thali you will see Shahi Paneer with his better half Dal Makhani. My son also love Shahi paneer with Jeera Rice which is filled with aroma of whole spices. So If you are going to make a North Indian platter then go with my menu and I am sure all will love this.
Story Behind my Shahi Paneer Recipe
Many of my followers are like to listen some personal incidents and moments related to my recipes, therefore I started to write my recipe story with my recipes. I am starting with Shahi Paneer which is my son’s favorite. Actually my son is crazy about paneer recipes, so I learn different paneer recipes for him and add my own innovation to recipes.
Firstly I use to make Shahi paneer like paneer butter masala, yellow color with lining of ghee. At that time my son always say that he want something restaurant style shahi paneer, with golden orange gravy and bowl should be fill with lot of gravy. So for my son I always keep an sharp eye on cooking style of halwai (cooks) in dhaba. Then I came to know that they make gravy of onion and lots of tomatoes. But they usually don’t use whole spices, but when I start using whole spices in shahi paneer, then reaction of my son was, “restaurant ko fail kr dia” 😀
With my son my nephews are also fan of my Shahi Paneer, Rajma, and gajar ka halwa. Whenever we have a get together, we always like to have this rich flavor treat on demand of all kids.
Shahi Paneer Recipe Video
Here are some Extra Tips for Shahi paneer Recipe
- Add kaju paste/ cashew nut paste for yummy rich flavor in Shahi paneer. To make kaju paste, firstly boil cashew in litter water or milk. Then grind it properly to make its paste. by boiling cashew paste will be more smoother.
- Some of my friends are making direct paste of onion and tomatoes to make its gravy, but I have to say this is not a correct way. Firstly cook onion and tomatoes and then blend them to make gravy like restaurant shahi paneer.
- Surely Use whole spices (khade masale) in tadka for a wonderful aroma, and don’t add garam masala instead of whole spices, many of my friends do this mistake while making shahi paneer. Garam Masala can’t be used in everything.
- If you are adding malai or cream, then add it in last stage otherwise it will turn into ghee and you will end up with a layer of ghee, not a rich creamy shahi paneer.
- Please don’t fry paneer cubes, this will make paneer cubes hard. I always prefer to cut paneer cubes and directly dip them into gravy and cook it for few minutes so that paneer add all its aroma into it.